Frost allergy (also called cold urticaria) is a common condition. Observed in adults and children. When the first signs appear, you should consult a doctor, as severe forms may develop.
Symptoms of frost allergy
How is cold allergy manifested? The disease has the following symptoms:
- Headaches in the occipital and frontal regions. A rash appears on the face and hands, itching, swelling, burning begins, in some situations the legs itch after frost.
- Dry and cracked skin on the hands. The face and limbs are swollen.
- Runny nose, itching, and stuffy nose. Sore throat, cough in the cold, watery eyes, itching and redness of the eyes.
Cold allergy symptoms and treatment
Frost allergies are divided into the following types:
- Acute and chronic form. Initially, the skin on exposed areas of the body begins to itch and itch. Further, she turns red, becomes covered with numerous blisters (resemble a mosquito bite). In a severe stage, an allergy to frost is accompanied by chills, muscle and joint pains appear, heart rate increases, general depression, malaise, and weakness are felt. This form can last all winter.
- Recurrent form. It is observed only at low ambient temperatures: in early spring, late autumn and winter. May be exacerbated in summer by exposure to cold water.
- Reflex form. A frost allergy is characterized by a rash near the chilled area of the skin. At the same time, the area directly affected by the cold maintains a healthy appearance.
- Family allergy to frost. It is rare, inherited. Signs – the formation of a rash, burning, itchy skin. It begins to appear after half an hour to three hours of exposure to low temperatures. Sometimes fever, chills, joint and muscle pain may occur.
- Cold erythema. The symptom is redness on the skin, accompanied by severe pain.
- Cold dermatitis. It manifests itself in the form of severe itching and peeling of the skin. In the severe stage, there is swelling of the whole body.
- Cold coryza. It is characterized by the onset of a cold in the cold, which disappears almost immediately when moved to warmth.
- Cold conjunctivitis. In the cold, severe lacrimation begins, less often – pain in the eyes.
Causes of frost allergy
Currently, the exact cause of the development of cold urticaria has not been identified. There are several assumptions:
- A skin allergy to frost is a symptom of a medical condition.
- Production of cryoglobulin proteins.
- Decreased immunity, various infectious and viral diseases, inflammatory processes in the body.
- Problems with the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
- Violations of the thyroid gland.
- Skin diseases.
It is believed that frost allergies are more often observed during stress, as a result of a decrease in immunity, with various diseases.
Cold allergy treatment
What to do if, when exposed to low temperatures, a skin reaction is observed in the form of redness, rash, itching and burning, a runny nose, cough, watery eyes, etc. begins? In such a situation, it is necessary to visit a doctor for diagnosis and further treatment of the disease.
You can do a frost allergy test yourself at home. To do this, put a piece of ice on the bend of the elbow for a few minutes. If the skin turns white or red, itching begins, then there is a high probability of an allergic reaction to the cold. For an accurate determination, it is necessary to consult with a therapist or immunologist-allergist, undergo an examination.
Cold allergies are treated similarly to other types of allergies. The main condition is that contact with the allergen should be avoided, i.e. cold. It is worth considering a number of features. Allergy manifests itself when going out into the frosty air, when taking ice drinks and food, when interacting with cold water. Each person has his own degree of sensitivity: some have urticaria at temperatures of -22-30 degrees, others at -5-10 degrees, and still others upon contact with cold water (+ 5 + 10 degrees).
Unfortunately, it is not always possible to avoid contact with the cold. Therefore, drugs are additionally prescribed. How to treat allergies from cold, what to use? It can be an antihistamine, bronchodilator. A plasmapheresis procedure may be prescribed.
Medicines prescribed for the disease are listed in the table.
|Drug type||Preparation||Form of issue|
|Parlazin||Pills, nose drops|
|Auxiliary preparations for skin irritation and itching||panthenol||Spray, cream foam|
Important! Medicines should be prescribed only by a doctor after consultation and examination.
In the absence of frost allergy, it is recommended to take preventive measures to prevent its development. This requires:
- Treat exposed skin areas with a protective cream, lips – with hygienic lipstick,
- Wear hats, gloves or mittens, a scarf, choose warm clothes,
- Wear cotton underwear
- Do not overcool
- Eat correctly and regularly.
Tempering the body is a good prevention. But such dousing with cold water should begin in the summer.
Detonic – a unique medicine that helps fight hypertension at all stages of its development.
The complex effect of plant components of the drug Detonic on the walls of blood vessels and the autonomic nervous system contribute to a rapid decrease in blood pressure. In addition, this drug prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thanks to the unique components that are involved in the synthesis of lecithin, an amino acid that regulates cholesterol metabolism and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
Detonic not addictive and withdrawal syndrome, since all components of the product are natural.
Detailed information about Detonic is located on the manufacturer’s page.