Any bacteria in the urine of women can indicate inflammation in the genitourinary system. The infection can develop due to age-related changes in the body, and also fall into the phases of the main physiological cycles (puberty, pregnancy, menopause).
Thanks to the continuous improvement of diagnostic methods for detecting inflammation, the percentage of bacteria detected increases every year.
Normally, a urine test for bacteria should show a negative result. Although, when taking a sample, single microbes from the genitals or from the surface of the skin can still get into the biomaterial. But if, during the study, bacteria are found in a large volume, doctors diagnose bacteriuria.
The symptoms are usually as follows:
- a sharp increase in body temperature (more often in cases where the kidneys are infected),
- increased urge to urinate, accompanied by pain,
- unpleasant odor and clots in the urine (a complication of cystitis),
- lumbar pain
- discharge of pus from the urethra (after suffering urethritis).
In the initial phase, the infection can proceed as asymptomatic or mild bacteriuria, when clear signs of inflammation do not appear. With a decrease in immunity, the body’s defense system weakens, bacteria begin to actively spread. At this stage, they can be found in various studies of the biomaterial.
Causes of bacteria getting into female urine
Bacteriuria can be divided into true, with characteristic symptoms, and asymptomatic (no symptoms of the disease). In the first case, the infection can be localized in the upper urinary tract (kidneys), and it can affect the bladder and, to a greater extent, the urethra.
There are many factors that trigger the development of infection. The main reasons for its appearance in women are as follows:
- individual characteristics of physiology,
- lack of proper hygiene,
- chronic diseases,
- genitourinary pathology,
- inflammation of the ureter,
- impaired immunity,
Danger of bacteria for pregnant women
Why is the presence of microorganisms in urine considered dangerous? Because, for example, untreated infectious diseases can promote the growth of microbes without symptoms. Bacteriuria during pregnancy can provoke the expansion of the ureters in the third trimester, as well as have a negative effect on the intrauterine development of the child.
Bacteria can cause pathological changes that contribute to miscarriage, underweight in the fetus and other unpleasant consequences. With delayed treatment, there may be a danger of late toxicosis – gestosis.
When a woman registers, being pregnant, she needs to undergo monthly examinations. Urine tests are also important clinical diagnostic methods. The attending physician will tell you if you need special preparation for the prescribed types of research.
The number of bacteria and the degree of infection are determined by bacteriological methods. If an infectious inflammation is suspected, urine culture is performed during pregnancy. Doctors also use other laboratory and instrumental methods for diagnosing bacterial infections (ultrasound of the kidneys, counting leukocytes, urinary and blood tests, plain urography).
Bacteria in urine during pregnancy appear for various reasons. To identify specific provoking factors, you will have to visit many specialists, from a therapist to a gynecologist. It will be necessary to pass all the prescribed tests. How many and how to take samples for a specific study, the doctor will tell you. Based on the results of the examination and the patient’s individual complaints, the doctor prescribes the necessary treatment.
With an increased concentration of bacteria, which was shown by a general urine test (over 100 CFU/ml), additional studies are prescribed:
- TTX test. Based on the use of the properties of microbes. Some of them are able to influence the composition of the salts of colorless tetrazolium. When bacteria interact, the structural parts of the compound are restored, and tetrazolium becomes bluish.
- Griss test. Thanks to the high-frequency reagents of Griss, nitrates are detected in urine, which, when a small amount of bacteria is ingested, are converted into nitrites.
- Glucose test. The procedure determines the difference between a reduced amount of glucose and a normal one, due to the utilization of the monosaccharide by microorganisms. The reagents are test strips that, by changing the color, will show an increase in the glucose component or its complete absence.
- Bacteriological urine culture for urinoculture. Discloses the degree of concentration of bacteria and the strain (pure culture excluded from the composition at a specific time and in a specific place).
- Sowing according to the Gold-Rodoman method. Differs in a short lead time. It is based on placing bacteria in a nutrient medium. At the same time, the most acceptable conditions for their reproduction are provided. A special table is used to calculate the norm of bacteria collected in the environment.
When examining smears, E. coli (Lat. Escherichia coli), staphylococcus or streptococcus (Latin Streptococcus) are often detected, the presence of which means that the genital organs are affected.
After passing the urine culture during pregnancy, the decoding will show not only the type of pathogenic microbes, but also which antibiotics they are sensitive to.
Treatment of bacteriuria
In order to restore kidney function, the attending physician prescribes a set of drugs, including antibiotics. You can additionally purchase herbal preparations that relieve inflammation and restore the infected microflora.
At any time, it is good to drink Canephron – an antispasmodic and antibacterial agent. Brusniver tea is recommended for pregnant women to drink, as it contains a composition of herbs that is useful and safe for the health of the expectant mother.
Asymptomatic bacteriuria should be treated with antibiotics, usually within 5 days. True bacteriuria takes longer to heal (within a week or two).
It must be understood that without normalizing the outflow of urinary fluid, medication cannot guarantee a lasting effect.
For this, intravenous infusion techniques are used. Attending physical therapy classes helps well, but you cannot overdo it (you must follow the doctor’s recommendations).
All women have beneficial lactobacilli (Latin Lactobacillus spp) in the microflora of the vagina and intestines, which ensure a healthy state of organs. Therefore, samples should be taken regularly for the presence of this bacterium.
During pregnancy, it is important to comply with the deadlines for the mandatory urine tests. At the same time, for an accurate diagnosis, a morning sample should be collected in a sterile container. As for food intake, to prevent bacteriuria, it is worth following the correct diet recommended by your doctor. It is necessary to get rid of the habit of eating fatty and poorly digestible food, it is better to eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, and to increase the consumption of pure water.
Folk remedies for prevention can also help. Chamomile broth, infusion of collected birch buds, drinks from juniper bark and juice of parsley leaves will help maintain the intestinal flora and the genitourinary system in a healthy state.
Detonic – a unique medicine that helps fight hypertension at all stages of its development.
The complex effect of plant components of the drug Detonic on the walls of blood vessels and the autonomic nervous system contribute to a rapid decrease in blood pressure. In addition, this drug prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thanks to the unique components that are involved in the synthesis of lecithin, an amino acid that regulates cholesterol metabolism and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
Detonic not addictive and withdrawal syndrome, since all components of the product are natural.
Detailed information about Detonic is located on the manufacturer’s page.