Statins lower blood cholesterol
Statins block the functioning of liver enzymes, which are necessary for the synthesis of cholesterol by the liver. For maximum drug efficacy, a person taking statins should adhere to a special cholesterol-free diet. So that cholesterol from food does not negate the “efforts” of these drugs. Statins also have an anti-inflammatory effect. Therefore, they stop local inflammation in the cholesterol atherosclerotic plaque in the lumen of the vessel, inhibiting atherogenesis.
Statins block the functioning of liver enzymes, which are necessary for the synthesis of cholesterol by the liver. For maximum drug efficacy, a person taking statins should adhere to a special cholesterol-free diet. So that cholesterol from food does not negate the “efforts” of these drugs.
Statins also have an anti-inflammatory effect. Therefore, they stop local inflammation in the cholesterol atherosclerotic plaque in the lumen of the vessel, inhibiting atherogenesis.
- Which statin is right for me?
- The most common statins
- S >
- What statins are prescribed to lower cholesterol
- The benefits of statins
- Classification of statins
- How to take cholesterol statins in the morning or evening
- The action of statins
- Reception Features
- Types of Statins
- Harm from statins
- Natural statins
- Statins and other medicines
Which statin is right for me?
A person can discuss various types of statins with a doctor.
Statins come in many types and doses. A person can discuss with their doctor which type of statin may work best for them. The doctor’s recommendation will depend on many factors, including the person:
- current cholesterol levels
- other cardiovascular risk factors
- other diseases like diabetes
- family history of heart disease
- other medicines
If a person has an increased risk of cardiovascular disease, his doctor may prescribe a higher dosage or long-acting statin. Conversely, a person with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease may start with a lower dose or short-acting statins.
Recent evidence suggests that many people can benefit from taking statins, even if they do not have high blood cholesterol. The Detonic.shop says statins can help people with an average risk of heart disease, especially if they take them in combination with medications to lower their blood pressure.
The most common statins
The main drugs of the statin group are as follows:
Detonic – a unique medicine that helps fight hypertension at all stages of its development.
The complex effect of plant components of the drug Detonic on the walls of blood vessels and the autonomic nervous system contribute to a rapid decrease in blood pressure. In addition, this drug prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thanks to the unique components that are involved in the synthesis of lecithin, an amino acid that regulates cholesterol metabolism and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
Detonic not addictive and withdrawal syndrome, since all components of the product are natural.
Detailed information about Detonic is located on the manufacturer’s page.
This drug is a prodrug. That is, in order to become an active substance, it needs to undergo a series of chemical transformations that occur with it when it enters the body. He has proven himself due to the ability to be rapidly absorbed and have a therapeutic effect.
This drug shows its effect not earlier than a couple of weeks after the start of its administration. According to laboratory tests, small but obvious changes are observed only after a month or two.
Simvastatin leaves the body quite quickly. After 12 hours, it in the body becomes 95% less. Therefore, it is prescribed before the time of maximum synthesis by the liver of cholesterol: at night. It is taken 1 tablet per day. No connection with eating is worth sticking to.
It is recommended to start treatment with Simvastatin with small doses, with a gradual increase to the optimal dosage. Often a dosage of 20 mg is the most optimal.
This drug is also a prodrug. The effect of treatment appears only after a couple of weeks of admission. It becomes maximum after a month and a half. Unlike simvastatin, this drug is absorbed slowly. Especially slowly, it is absorbed in the intestine if taken on an empty stomach. Its bioavailability is only 30%. After a couple of hours, its concentration is maximum. And in a day it is only 10% of the initial one.
Like other static, it is taken once a day. You need to drink the drug during dinner. Therapy begins with a small dose, which is then gradually increased. Dose changes occur once every couple of weeks. A large dosage (80 mg) can be divided into two doses (evening and morning).
Such high dosages are possible only with monotherapy with this drug. If antiholisterinemic therapy is carried out with nicotinic acid or fibrates at the same time, then the dosage of Lovastatin should not be more than 20 mg.
The active substance of Crestor is rosuvastatin
Taking this drug is slightly different from treating with other statins. It is equally effective if taken at any time of the day, and not just in the evenings, as with the rest of the representatives of this group.
By the time of eating, he is also not attached at all. But the requirements for adherence to the anticholesterol diet remain. As a rule, it is recommended to start taking Krestor with a minimum dose of 5 or 10 mg 1 time/day. After a month, the dose may be increased. Often stop taking 20 mg. Less often, with high cholesterol in the blood, 40 mg of the drug is prescribed.
Dosages and recommendations for the use of statins are individual in each case. Features of the appointment depend on the properties of each drug, laboratory parameters of the lipid profile, the patient’s condition and the severity of atherosclerosis. Also important are age, gender, associated pathologies. Of great importance is the patient’s readiness for long-term, and possibly lifelong use of drugs.
By the time of eating, he is also not attached at all. But the requirements for adherence to the anticholesterol diet remain. As a rule, it is recommended to start taking Krestor with a minimum dose of 5 or 10 mg 1 time/day. After a month, the dose may be increased.
Often stop taking 20 mg. Less often, with high cholesterol in the blood, 40 mg of the drug is prescribed. Such doses are not recommended for those who have not previously treated cholesterolemia. When prescribing such dosages, lipid metabolism is monitored after 2-4 weeks.
Statins do not cause serious side effects in most people. According to the American College of Cardiology, up to 90 percent of people taking statins do not experience unpleasant side effects. For those who experience side effects, they may include:
- muscle pain, weakness, or cramping
- constipation or diarrhea
- muscle inflammation or myositis, which can be serious
- new diabetes, especially in people with other risk factors for diabetes
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) states that the risk of these side effects is low and that the benefits of statins usually outweigh this risk.
Some reports warn that statins can cause serious memory loss, but research has shown inconsistent evidence of this side effect. Another review says that there is reason to believe that statins do not affect memory.
In rare cases, a person taking statins can have serious side effects, such as liver damage or an allergic reaction. The following side effects require immediate medical attention:
- pain in the upper abdomen
- yellow skin or eyes
- dark urine
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- very tired
- rash, hives, or itching
- swelling of the face, lips, tongue, eyes, or throat
- difficulties with speech
Despite the fact that drugs for lowering cholesterol are effective and well tolerated, their intake does not pass without a trace for health. This disadvantage is explained by the fact that to obtain the therapeutic effect of statins, you need to drink for a long time, from 3 to 4 years.
Muscle is most affected by statins. A patient who takes medication may develop myopathy over time, the main symptoms of which are weakness and soreness of skeletal muscles. If, after the manifestation of the ailment, one does not stop taking the pills, rhabdomyolysis appears – muscle breakdown, due to which the renal tubules are blocked by the decay products, and acute renal failure develops.
Often there are problems with memory and thinking. The patient has memory lapses for several hours, in which he cannot remember himself and his close circle.
Also, the likelihood of side effects is affected by:
- The age of the patient (in the elderly is observed 55 percent more often than in patients under 48 years of age).
- Diseases of a chronic nature.
- Incorrect food.
- Surviving surgery.
- Abnormal liver function.
- Excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- The use of a large number of pills.
- Eating freshly squeezed grapefruit juice.
Reception of statins with high cholesterol provokes an increased activity of transaminase, a renal enzyme, which signals the harm that the medicine causes to the liver. Especially, the situation is aggravated if the patient systematically takes alcohol.
Often after taking statins, patients complain about the manifestation of such conditions in the morning:
- Rash and redness on the skin.
- Gastrointestinal tract disorders.
- Lack of appetite.
- General malaise.
- Emetic urges.
These symptoms appear less often, and in some they completely disappear if the doctor allows you to lower the dose of the medicine.
Therefore, statins are best taken under the supervision of the attending physician and at least once every few months take tests to check the health status. Such studies include:
- Check for alanine aminotransferase levels.
- Check for the amount of aspartate aminotransferase in the blood plasma.
- Determining the amount of cholesterol.
- Determination of creatine phosphokinase level.
What statins are prescribed to lower cholesterol
At what levels of cholesterol are statins effective? Prescribing drugs is advisable in such cases:
- Hypercholesterolemia. Exceeding the norm of cholesterol does not decrease for several months.
- Pronounced clinical atherosclerosis.
- Diagnosed cardiac ischemia.
Scientists still have not answered at what level cholesterol statins are the best medicines for treatment. American scientists, having conducted a number of studies, argue that statins can be used to lower cholesterol when the norm is exceeded by 3,5 mmol/L. This is especially rational if the patient meets one of the criteria:
- Over 58 years old.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Has diabetes.
Statin therapy is prescribed for preventive and therapeutic purposes. The main indication for the use of drugs is the prevention of cardiovascular pathologies. When appointing a doctor, it is necessary to take into account the gender, age and weight of a person, existing diseases, the presence of diabetes mellitus and bad habits. It is better to take statins not in the morning, but in the evening.
Who benefits from this group of drugs:
- For preventive purposes, to prevent a heart attack to people who have problems of a cardiovascular nature.
- Statins to lower cholesterol are prescribed if a person has had a heart attack. It is necessary to drink them from the first days and in high doses.
- With atherosclerosis, these drugs help slow down the development of pathology.
- They can be prescribed as a prevention of stroke.
- Recommended for patients who underwent surgery on the vessels of the heart.
How to take lipid-lowering drugs and what is the duration of taking statins? Cardiologists believe that these medications should be drunk constantly, since it is with prolonged use that they are well tolerated and less side effects occur. Earlier in the appointment, the tactics of gradually increasing the dosage of the drugs were chosen.
However, studies have shown that increasing the volume does not improve the patient’s condition and the initially selected dosage should be taken continuously. It is also not recommended to take a break in taking statins, despite the improvement in performance. A discontinued course can increase or even exceed the initial level of cholesterol in the blood.
Patients should periodically consult a doctor and monitor the status of lipid metabolism. Serum cholesterol should not exceed 4,0 mmol/L. The benefits of statins are undeniable, they reduce mortality from heart disease, the risk of heart attack and stroke. The drugs of the latest generation do not have a significant toxic effect on the human body.
Disputes about the benefits and harms have been going on for many years. Do I need to drink statins, the patient decides. How long to take statins depends on the diagnosis. So, with chronic atherosclerosis, long-term use of drugs is recommended.
Can I take statins for a child with heart problems? Doctors do not recommend treating children with these drugs, offering to replace them with other medications.
Statin therapy should be supported by a specific diet prescribed by your doctor. From the patient’s diet, it is necessary to exclude foods containing high calories, a large amount of fat. It is preferable to eat vegetable and non-fat sour-milk products, cereals. Instead of meat, it is better to eat fish and poultry.
It is advisable to supplement the course of treatment with physical exertion, which will enhance metabolism, strengthen immunity and lose extra pounds. If there are no contraindications, you can visit the gym, pool, sports section. Regular exercise helps cleanse blood vessels of plaques, thereby lowering blood cholesterol.
Therefore, today most often prescribed are the statins of the latest generations – Atorvastatin and Rosuvastatin, which are the safest for health with prolonged use, quickly and consistently reduce “bad” cholesterol, and also increase the concentration in the blood of “good” cholesterol – high density lipoproteins, which is important for normalization lipid metabolism.
For each person, depending on the data of his lipid profile and the presence of chronic diseases, an individual dosage is selected. So, if the lipoproteins in the blood are slightly elevated and there is no history of severe coronary diseases, the doctor may prescribe a daily dosage of Rosuvastatin in the range of 5-20 mg. If low density lipoproteins greatly exceed the permissible limits and there is a history of cardiovascular pathologies, such as coronary artery disease, you need to take this drug at a maximum dosage of 40 mg per day.
Doctors prescribe statins for more than 30 years, and these drugs are generally safe and effective with a low risk of serious side effects.
Short-acting statins are most effective when a person takes them at night, but a person can take long-acting statins at any time of the day. The most important point to remember is to take them every day, ideally at the same time.
As with any medicine, a person should take it according to a prescription. They should also tell the doctor if they notice any side effects.
Researchers have found that statins, a class of drugs commonly used to lower cholesterol, can also slow down a person’s aging process.
After discovering in a new study that mice are at increased risk of developing cancer after consuming the popular British low-calorie artificial sweetener sucralose, leading .
Researchers presented a study in the Heart Failure Congress of the European Society of Cardiology 2012 in Belgrade, Serbia, which showed that statins are linked .
A new American review of published research data on the effects of statins on cancer prevention shows that taking cholesterol medications can lower your risk of developing people .
Statins, also known as HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, are drugs that are prescribed for people with high cholesterol.
The benefits of statins
Statins for the treatment of patients have a number of undeniable advantages:
- Reduce the level of deaths from heart disease by 39 percent during the first 5 years.
- Reduce the possibility of heart attack and stroke by 33 percent.
- Effective. Systematic use lowers the level of LDL by an percentage, increases the amount of HDL by 25 percent.
- A wide selection of analogues. The pharmaceutical market provides a wide range of statin drugs, which allows you to choose statins for financial capabilities.
Classification of statins
So far, there are four generations of statins. At the heart of the first representatives – lovastatin and simvastatin – penicillin mushrooms. Representatives of the remaining categories are bred in synthetic conditions.
It is a mistake to think that first-generation statins have fewer side effects than more modern ones. Everyone who drank simvastatin complained of the symptoms characteristic of statins of the latest generations.
- The first – called natural, were obtained from penicillin fungi. Drugs often provoke side effects and have little effect on cholesterol molecules.
- The second – sparingly affect the body, their action is more effective than natural.
- Third, in addition to the main action, they stimulate the formation of high density cholesterol, help reduce triglycerides, which provoke the development of atherosclerosis.
- Fourth – recognized as the most effective and safe, easily accumulate in the body and significantly lower cholesterol.
You should not take these funds without a doctor’s prescription: the drugs have a number of side effects. How to take statins and at what time of day, the specialist should explain after laboratory tests and medical history. When taking statins, you should remember about the interaction with other drugs.
How to take cholesterol statins in the morning or evening
Elevated cholesterol can lead to problems of the heart, kidneys, intestines, impaired limb movement and blood supply to the brain. Under these pathological conditions, human life is in danger.
All these deviations can be avoided if the prevention or treatment of atherosclerosis is started in a timely manner.
Among many modern drugs, a special niche is occupied by statins for cholesterol, the benefits and harms of which are discussed below.
This is the name of medicines that help in combination with other drugs to lower cholesterol and prevent stroke and heart attack. Components of statins act on the liver enzyme, which is responsible for the production of “beneficial” and excess cholesterol. This enzyme has a long name: “3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-coenzyme A reductase.”
If there is a lot of cholesterol, then it accumulates in the vessels and interferes with the blood flow, subsequently forming dangerous blood clots, and statins reduce its production and also eliminate its appearance resulting from the breakdown of adipose tissue.
In nature, there are natural statins that can be worthy substitutes for synthetic drugs. But you can’t choose the right remedy yourself, you need to trust this doctor.
The action of statins
After their administration, the number of atherosclerotic plaques decreases and blood vessels become stronger, and other improvements are also observed:
- the concentration of triglycerides decreases;
- the risk of aneurysm is reduced;
- the efficiency of the left ventricle improves;
- normal heart function is restored.
Using new generation medicines, results can be achieved faster, some manufacturers of rosuvastatin-based products guarantee a reduction in existing atherosclerotic plaques.
Candidate of Medical Sciences, doctor V. M. Savkin: Liver cleansing will help rejuvenate the body in a few days and give an additional 15 years of life .
Such medications are recommended for people with the following problems:
- with angina pectoris, which manifested itself after a heart attack;
- with increased production of thyroid hormones;
- with a high cholesterol content, if its content in the blood exceeds the norm of 5,8 mmol/l and it cannot be restored with a three-month diet;
- after a stroke;
- with atherosclerosis, in particular this medicine is indicated for older people;
- in case of confirmation of ischemia of the heart muscle.
Statins are also prescribed for those patients who have several negative factors that affect the appearance of heart problems, these include:
- genetic predisposition;
- obesity of any degree;
- elderly age;
- hypertensive diseases;
- male gender.
The above are the main reasons why a doctor can prescribe statins, without them it will be difficult to achieve positive dynamics of treatment. These lipid-lowering drugs can be selected only by the attending specialist, you can not rely on the experience of friends, even if their diagnosis is similar.
Before the appointment of any of the statins, it will be necessary to undergo a full examination, including a visual examination, passing tests and, in serious cases, instrumental studies. All of them will give a more complete picture of the course of the disease, help establish the dosage of the drug, or exclude its use.
If during the reception of the remedy any deviations appear, it is necessary to stop taking them and seek the advice of a doctor.
Each purchased drug has its own instruction, which indicates the correct dosage of the drug. They can be washed down with plain water or juice, but not freshly squeezed out of grapefruit, as it can prevent the body from processing active substances and they accumulate in the body. Their overdose can lead to liver failure and muscle destruction.
For the prevention and treatment of liver diseases, our readers successfully use an effective tool .
Important points for taking statins:
- The best assimilation of statins occurs during rest, so they are used one and a half or two hours before bedtime, in the morning such medications should not be used.
- The medication should be taken intermittently, otherwise a person may have problems with the kidneys and liver, and cataracts and frequent mood swings may also occur.
- In some cases, statins are taken for life, without them, a person feels a serious deterioration in health.
- In pathological liver diseases, Rosuvastatin is prescribed in small quantities. Its dosage causes the body the least harm.
- During the treatment with statins, it is necessary to carefully monitor the diet and exclude the use of alcohol and antibiotics.
If a person has problems with the kidneys, then taking Atorvastatin and Fluvastatin is prohibited.
Types of Statins
The name “statins” refers to a whole class of medications used to lower cholesterol. They were first invented in 1970.
|Lovastatin||Cardiostatin, Vasilip, Lipostat, Simvacard and Lovastatin|
|Atorvastatin||Atoris, Amvastan, Liprimar and Atorvastatin|
|Rosuvastatin||Crestor, Roxer, Rosucard and Rosart|
As can be seen from the table, the classification of drugs is carried out depending on their active substance, and the name of the drug is determined by their manufacturer. To determine which are the safest for the liver of them, only a doctor can.
Depending on the condition of the patient, he prescribes one of their types, which contains a certain amount of active substance, so an individual approach is applied to each patient. Last-generation cholesterol-lowering drugs are the least harmful.
The following classification of statins is based on this, which depends on the dosage of the drug, in total there are three types of drugs:
- high-dosage drugs, its value is taken in the amount of from 40 to 80 mg, fall into this category: “Lovastatin”, “Atorvastatin” and “Fluvastatin”;
- medicines with a mass fraction of the active substance lying in the range of 10-40 mg: Pravastatin, Simvastatin and Rosuvastatin;
- drugs with a low dosage of up to 8 mg, in this group there is only one drug – Pitavastatin.
Found a natural remedy that causes an aversion to alcohol! Elena Malysheva: “Surely you know that until recently, the only effective way to combat alcohol dependence was . ”
The most potent – Pitavastatin is used in small quantities, it quickly eliminates painful symptoms, and also has a minimal amount of side effects. Medications with an average dosage are required to be drunk in large quantities, then they can have the proper effect – lower blood cholesterol.
High-dosage drugs are used in large quantities, they are effective, but have a number of contraindications and side effects.
Basically, statins are well tolerated by patients, but their effect on the body does not remain without consequences. The fact is that they work, it takes a long time to take the medicine, for some patients this period is 3 years, others may take longer to overcome the disease.
Most often, their negative effect is reflected in the muscle mass of a person. It can manifest itself in myopia, accompanied by soreness and muscle weakness. With these symptoms, it is necessary to stop treatment with statins, otherwise the breakdown of muscle fibers may begin and a detrimental effect on the thyroid gland may occur.
There is a likelihood of other side effects in the form of:
- renal failure;
- intestinal disorders;
- constipation, stomach pain, and diarrhea is also possible;
- constant weakness in the body.
There are also rare side effects:
- gospel disease;
- memory impairment;
- inflammatory processes in the pancreas.
In the human body, a process of a massive increase in liver enzymes can begin, especially this often happens in people suffering from alcohol dependence. After stopping the use of alcohol products and a break in taking statins, these symptoms disappear without a trace.
Not only the components of the drug can provoke side effects, but also their administration together with antibiotics, fibrates, cytostatics, Amiodarone and Verapamil.
Side effects can occur after two months of taking the drug, so you should carefully observe the dosage and duration of their administration. In addition, it is necessary to take tests for cholesterol during the treatment period, because its low level also adversely affects the human body.
Harm from statins
The danger from these drugs does not appear immediately, so it is so important to constantly pass the appropriate tests, otherwise deviations appear:
- nerve damage;
- from the nervous system: mood swings, unexplained attacks of aggression or apathy;
- from the circulatory system: a decrease in platelet count;
- from the digestive system: poor appetite, constipation, diarrhea, jaundice, anorexia.
Some patients, after reading negative reviews about these drugs, and finding out their harm, are afraid to take them, in addition, given that they are often prescribed for life, their high cost is frightening, and the appearance of side effects is not excluded.
An alternative to statins is their natural safe substitutes, which include:
- Vitamin C . It is found in many vegetables, berries and fruits. The most useful berries are currants, sea buckthorn and rose hips. Of the latter, it is better to take a decoction.
- Niacin acid. To replenish it, you need to include red fish, nuts, grains and milk in your diet. This acid helps break down proteins, carbohydrates and fats, normalizes hemodynamics, and improves digestive processes.
- Fatty acids help normalize cholesterol, so fish oil, which contains healthy omega-3s, must be included in the diet. It is preferable to eat marine fish of fatty varieties. If you constantly consume fish, then you can clear the vessels of cholesterol plaques. Fatty acids are also found in linseed oil.
- Garlic. This vegetable helps with high cholesterol, the result after taking it will be noticeable if you eat a small clove daily for two months. Garlic is not only a natural statin, but also helps with colds.
- Cellulose . It is a dietary fiber, they are practically not digested by the body, so when passing through the alimentary canal perfectly cleanse it. Fiber is able to retain “harmful” cholesterol, and then remove it into the intestines.
Some patients refuse to drink cholesterol statins, because they are afraid of strong side effects. In such cases, natural statins are recommended to increase HDL levels. So called specific substances that are contained in sufficient quantities in products:
- Vitamin C. It is found in rosehip infusion, pepper, sea buckthorn, currants, citrus fruits and cabbage.
- Polyconazole It is produced from sugar cane.
- Niacin. It is rich in meat, nuts, cereals, red fish.
- Monacolin. This substance can enrich the body by eating red rice yeast. They are presented as a food supplement, but are difficult to find.
- Curcumin Turmeric is enriched with it.
- Fatty acids (omega-3). Contained in sufficient quantities in vegetable oils (experts recommend choosing flax oil) and fatty fish.
- Resveratrol Contained in red wine and grape skin.
- Pectin. This substance is enriched with bran bread, buckwheat, barley, oatmeal, cabbage, beans, carrots and apples.
Garlic, fermented pace and miso are also considered natural statins.
Statins and other medicines
According to WHO and AAS, statins are required in the treatment of ischemia, which is highly likely to develop complications and heart attack. Prescribing statins to stabilize HDL in a patient will not be complete, so the doctor still prescribes:
- Beta-blockers: Bisoprol, Metoprolol.
- Antiplatelet agents: Aspirin, Aspicore.
- ACE Inhibitors: Quadripil, Enalapril.
Previously, statins were recommended to drink only at bedtime to separate their effects from other medicines, but now more and more leading scientists are inclined to think about taking combined drugs. At the moment, the combined drug Polypill is being tested in the laboratories, and in pharmacies you can already find Kaduet and Duplekor, which combine Atorvastatin and Amlodipine.
If cholesterol is exceeded by more than 7,2 mmol/l, it is rational to prescribe statins with fibrates. Such a decision should be made by a qualified specialist, taking into account the individual patient indicators and all possible risks.