Why are unpleasant sensations in young and older children? Reasons may include the following:
- They are not connected specifically with the pathology of the heart, these are functional heart pains that occur during the growth of the child’s body.
- Vegetative-vascular dystonia causes a stitching sensation in the left sternum or left armpit.
- Disorders from other organs and systems: the spine, nervous system, digestive system (for example, biliary dyskinesia). The pain “gives”, radiating to the region of the heart.
- Chest injuries. They feel like sharp pain in the heart and sternum. In case of injury, bruise, fracture, urgently need to contact traumatology or call an ambulance.
- Against the backdrop of colds, discomfort indicates myocardial inflammation. After a sore throat, scarlet fever, streptococcal infections, pain, malfunctioning of the heart can occur. Such conditions require urgent consultation with a doctor.
- Abnormal coronary circulation, pericarditis. The pains are characterized as constricting, extending to the jaw, neck and shoulder. With pericarditis, they are associated with breathing and are described as pressing behind the sternum.
- After heart surgery. It appears as a dull pain behind the sternum. It must be reported to the attending physician.
In 4-7 year old children, this condition may be associated with pathology of the biliary tract. Pain in this case is perceived as giving in the heart. A gastroenterologist will deal with the treatment of this violation.
Stitching pains associated with rapid growth of the body often occur in children 6-8 years of age and older. The heart muscle grows, but the vessels behind it do not keep up. Pain appears from time to time during physical exertion, movement, running or brisk walking.
Children of 9-10 years of age often have pain in the heart due to vegetative-vascular dystonia. They are localized in the region of the heart and give to the left. The intensity of the pain is moderate, sometimes intensifies, even at rest.
Another common cause of pain at this age is changes in the spine (scoliosis or early osteochondrosis). Nerves get pinched, a feeling that the heart hurts.
Changes in the usual way of life, parental divorce, transfer to a new school and other traumatic situations often become a source of pain in the area of the heart in children. Experts attribute them to disorders of the nervous system. The child says that the chest aches or pricks.
Teenagers are very susceptible to traumatic psychological situations, mood swings. They often have such pains during severe stress or fear, for example, during an exam. Intense pain lasts about 3 minutes, then disappears. Usually, in terms of cardiology, no violations are found, and they are attributed to a nervous system disorder or vegetative-vascular dystonia. At the age of 13-14, hypertrophy of the heart muscle often becomes a source of pain due to the intensive growth of the body.
However, it must be remembered that due to hormonal changes in the body at 11-12 years old, chronic diseases can worsen in adolescents or new ones may arise. You can not leave the child’s complaints unattended, it is better to play it safe and conduct a full examination.
Traditionally, any chest pain, especially in its left part, is attributed to heart disease. Although this is sometimes the case, similar symptoms occur in a number of other diseases. Among them:
- intercostal neuralgia;
- lung diseases;
This disease is a pinched or inflammation of the intercostal nerve. There are many reasons: from sleeping in an uncomfortable position to infections, such as herpes.
- tingling in the affected area;
- muscle twitching;
- increased pain with coughing or sudden movement.
Detonic – a unique medicine that helps fight hypertension at all stages of its development.
The complex effect of plant components of the drug Detonic on the walls of blood vessels and the autonomic nervous system contribute to a rapid decrease in blood pressure. In addition, this drug prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thanks to the unique components that are involved in the synthesis of lecithin, an amino acid that regulates cholesterol metabolism and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
Detonic not addictive and withdrawal syndrome, since all components of the product are natural.
Detailed information about Detonic is located on the manufacturer’s page.
- Lung diseases
- Angina pectoris
- Coronary spasm
- How to quickly help a child
- How to recognize a heart attack
- Symptoms of Heart Pain
- What to do: how to treat, emergency care
- What to do if heart pierces? First aid
- What to do at home if heart pierces
- Preventive measures for minors
This is an inflammatory process that affects skeletal muscles. People say “blew out”, “stretched out in a draft”, although this is not the only possible reason.
Painful sensations intensify in the cold and when feeling, sometimes there is swelling and redness of the skin.
A neurotic excited state that has physical manifestations: a lump in the throat, which interferes with swallowing and talking, twitching of the muscles of the face. Moreover, sometimes a person is extremely excited, describing his condition in all colors, and in other cases it is difficult for him to believe that he has a neurosis: he feels calm, and all experiences proceed in the “background”, having only physical manifestations.
Bronchitis, tuberculosis, inflammation of the connective tissue can cause acute pain, which intensifies with deep breathing. In addition, the temperature usually rises and a cough appears.
The following manifestations belong to this disease:
- numbness of the hands;
- muscle weakness.
Osteochondrosis can be confused with heart disease, it provokes an increase in pressure.
If the above diseases are excluded, then heart disease can be suspected.
This type of heart disorder is accompanied by rapid fatigue, irritability, sometimes changes in the pulse, and the pressure usually does not deviate significantly from the norm.
It is an arterial thrombosis that causes necrosis of the heart muscle. Stitching sensations are given in the jaw, throat, left hand. The skin becomes pale and clammy. Often an attack is accompanied by heartburn and nausea, leading to loss of consciousness. Immunity to nitroglycerin helps to differentiate a heart attack.
Lumbago in this case is the result of vasospasm due to insufficient blood flow. Symptoms are very reminiscent of a heart attack – the pain is also given to the arm and jaw, nausea appears. And it is not surprising, because it is with angina that a heart attack begins. The main difference between these conditions: with angina pectoris after taking nitroglycerin, the pain begins to subside.
Inflammation of the outer membranes of the heart. May be caused by viruses or bacteria. Other symptoms: fast, irregular heartbeat, malaise, fever. Sometimes a dry cough is present.
It is a thickening of the walls of one of the ventricles. Sometimes it manifests itself in an increased pulse and reduced pressure, shortness of breath, but this is rare – usually the disease proceeds without manifestations.
This is a sharp narrowing of the coronary vessels. The pain appears in the morning, often at rest.
In fact, with the above pathologies, it is not the heart that pricks at all. Patients have an unpleasant sensation in the chest, so the first thing they think about is, of course, cardiac problems, although they are not.
In a separate group of causes of tingling in the region of the heart, it is worth attributing ailments in which there are no pathological changes in the heart, but it still aches:
- Vegetative disorders.
- Hormonal disorders, including those with menopause and PMS.
- Growing pains. When the growth of blood vessels does not keep up with the growth of the heart muscle. The child is hyperactive, constantly in motion. The heart system cannot cope with physical activity. With a short rest, the pain subsides, but appears regularly for several months. Usually complaints of a stitching pain on the left side of the chest, sometimes gives to the armpit. You can give tincture of motherwort or valerian root, one drop to one kg of a child’s weight. But before that, a consultation with a pediatric cardiologist is mandatory.
- Osteochondrosis or scoliosis. Pain in the heart of the child will be diverse, it all depends on the nature of the curvature of the spine.
- Neurosis. Aching pain, accompanied by tingling. It manifests itself with increased physical or emotional anxiety.
- The kid suffered an infectious disease: tonsillitis, flu, etc. Pain can occur within a month after the illness. Viral carditis, rheumatism develops. The pain is accompanied by general malaise, joint pain, the initial stage of intoxication.
- Angina pectoris. Sharp pain during coughing, sneezing, deep breathing, running.
- Abnormal coronary circulation. Squeezing pain, gives to the neck, shoulder.
- The defeat of the blood circulation of coronary or large vessels, more often occurs with congenital heart disease. The pain is dull, gives to the arm, shoulder, aggravated by coughing.
- Impaired regulation of the heart is usually diagnosed in adolescents. Pain stitching, localized in the upper left chest, in the absence of physical exertion.
- Pericarditis, two types of pain:
- Pleural pain, associated with respiratory movements, is exacerbated by coughing or taking a deep breath, due to the pleuritic component of infectious pleuropericarditis.
- Aching, pressing pain under the chest, varies from slight to sharp, with a deep breath intensifies. It happens with infectious pericarditis. It can go dry, while the pain disappears, and when examining the baby, a heartbeat is heard.
The body of a young man or girl of the puberty period undergoes hormonal, physiological and psycho-emotional changes and often gives malfunctions, which are expressed in discomfort and pain. Guessing why a teenager has chest pains is not always easy.
Sometimes behind pain in the heart zone there are problems with completely different organs and systems. That is why, a consultation with a doctor and diagnosis is required in order to exclude pathological conditions. The most common causes of pain in the heart zone in adolescent children are:
Neurocirculatory dystonia (NDC). About two-thirds of pain in the heart region falls on it. It occurs during any malfunction of the nervous system.
Often there are cardiological problems – myocarditis, myocardiopathy. Such damage to the heart muscle can be associated with metabolic disorders, allergies, certain types of infectious diseases, especially the upper respiratory tract.
These include tonsillitis, tonsillitis, cholecystitis and even dental caries. First, the cause of the pain is found out and the underlying disease is treated, which prevents such cardiac pathologies as dystrophy of the heart muscle or scar formation in the myocardium.
Rheumatic pains in adolescents are quite serious. Most often they occur a few weeks after suffering a sore throat, scarlet fever, pharyngitis. The main symptoms are fever, joint pain, sometimes swelling, general weakness.
Rheumatism is caused by pathogenic streptococci, its treatment is lengthy and is carried out in a hospital, sanatoriums. In severe cases, the development of heart disease is possible.
How to quickly help a child
The first thing parents need to do when a child complains of chest pain or an area of the heart is to calm down. Remember, not all pains in the heart speak precisely of a cardiological disorder.
Ask the child to change his body position – lie down or sit down, take a deep breath. If the pain stops, most likely the cause is a pinched nerve, you need to check the spine. Perhaps such sensations indicate scoliosis or the onset of osteochondrosis, which will help to identify a pediatric orthopedist.
If pain attacks occur constantly – this is a good reason for going to the doctor and examining. The pediatrician will send on an ECG, echocardiography, if necessary – on an x-ray. According to the results of the study, it will be clear what causes pain, which specialist should apply for specialized treatment. With timely access to medical care and strict adherence to all the doctor’s recommendations, it will be possible to identify serious violations in time and cure them.
If the pain does not go away for a short time, parents do not need to panic, because their behavior they can even frighten the baby. It is necessary to provide the child with enough fresh air, call an ambulance.
Before the arrival of doctors, a tablet of glycine, valerian or validol is allowed if the child is older than 5 years. Not always a baby makes contact with an unfamiliar aunt by a doctor, therefore, before the doctor arrives, you should try to find out from the child what kind of pain, how painful, the exact place of pain. You need to ask in a calm, confident voice, do not be nervous if the baby cannot intelligently answer.
How to recognize a heart attack
Myocardial infarction and angina attacks do not always occur classically, an atypical clinical picture is also possible that mimics other diseases, for example, intercostal neuralgia or pinched nerve roots in the spine. Therefore, it is worthwhile to understand what symptoms can distinguish a true heart attack from tingling in the heart region of a non-cardiological nature.
Heart pain with myocardial ischemia has the following features:
- Appears against the background of strong excitement or during physical exertion (lifting weights, exercising in the gym, fast walking, running, climbing stairs, etc.).
- Patients characterize it as compressive, baking. But it is possible that the heart will simply prick strongly.
- Soreness gives in the left hand, in the shoulder blade, in the neck.
- Unpleasant sensations increase if a person continues to curse, get nervous, run, etc.
- In a calm state, the patient becomes easier.
- Nitroglycerin relieves a pain attack, but with a myocardial infarction, it, as an anesthetic, is ineffective. His patients are given to prevent even greater damage to the heart muscle.
In addition to pain in a heart attack, there is a sharp weakness, dizziness, cold sweat appears, a sensation of suffocation, panic. If a person has long suffered from cardiac problems, any prolonged chest discomfort should be considered as a heart attack.
In diseases of the spine and intercostal neuralgia, tingling in the heart usually has a close relationship with motor activity and the position of the patient: in one position, the heart hurts, in the other not. If the cause of the pain is gastritis or pancreatitis, discomfort is usually triggered by eating.
In neurological and autonomic disorders, tingling in the heart can occur suddenly and last for hours. Physical activity in such situations does not aggravate the well-being of the patient, but on the contrary, even improve. It is clear that nitroglycerin in all these situations does not reduce pain in the heart.
Symptoms of Heart Pain
How to recognize according to the complaints of the baby that discomfort is caused by feelings in the heart? Similar pains in children are usually characterized identically:
- felt in the center of the chest, gives to the left – in the neck, shoulder, arm, under the shoulder blade;
- short, occur in seizures;
- associated with physical activity, appear in motion;
- caused by psycho-emotional stress;
- described by the child as oppressive or stitching;
- well stopped by sedatives.
With problems in the heart, they turn to a pediatrician, who directs him to an ultrasound and ECG to a cardiologist. You may need tests from other specialists. If the root cause is not in the field of cardiology, then you will need the help of a neurologist, gastroenterologist or orthopedist.
In adolescents with “youthful heart syndrome” vegetative disorders, disturbances in the tone of blood vessels of the heart muscle occur. The reason for this is a number of neuro-hormonal factors inherent in the puberty.
In addition to stitching or aching pains in the region of the heart, in children over 12 years old suffering from this pathology, there are:
- increased heart rate;
- increased sweating;
- character changes towards imbalance.
Sometimes headaches occur, provoked by hypertension, which develops due to a rather narrow lumen of the arteries with an increased heart volume. The child may feel insecurity, anxiety, panic. When listening, the signs of arrhythmia are clearly audible.
What to do: how to treat, emergency care
To find out why the child often complains of heart pain, the baby is taken to a pediatrician, and then to a pediatric cardiologist. A cardiologist, first of all, prescribes the passage of an ECG (dosed and daily) and ultrasound of the heart. If cardiac pathology is excluded, it will be necessary to additionally be examined by other specialists.
To exclude a violation in the structure of the spine (scoliosis), the orthopedist directs for x-ray and computed tomography. If the child feels worse after eating, consult a gastroenterologist to exclude diseases of the digestive system. A child should be examined by a neurologist to diagnose or refute childhood neurosis.
If the child constantly complains of characteristic pains, the cardiologist after the examination prescribes appropriate therapy. Surgical intervention may sometimes be required. But more often you can get rid of the problem by resorting to simple rules and prescribed treatment.
When identifying cardiological pathologies, only a specialist decides what to do to save the teenager from pain. Mostly prescribed sedatives (Glycine, Phenibut) to reduce the level of emotional stress. A good result is given by taking Motherwort Tinctures of 10-15 drops twice a day.
In most cases, this problem does not require special therapy. To alleviate the condition of the child, it is enough to adjust the mode of the day:
- A good rest, staying in the fresh air, and a long sleep is very important.
- Mental stress must be significantly reduced.
- Intensive physical activity is undesirable, as is their complete absence.
- Effective morning wiping to the waist, bathing, contrast shower.
To reinforce the result, as well as to avoid cardialgia in adolescents, preventive measures should also be taken.
Regardless of why the heart is pricking and under what circumstances, you need to see a doctor. Only a specialist can determine the cause and what to do in a specific situation – a therapist, cardiologist, neuropathologist.
If the pain first appeared, and you cannot determine what it is associated with, contact your physician. If the symptoms were earlier, and the cause was established by specialists, you can follow their recommendations or re-consult and be examined by the appropriate specialized doctor. Thus, you can not only alleviate the condition, but also completely cure the causative disease.
Important to remember! It is unacceptable to independently make the final decision on the causes and treatment of stabbing pain in the heart. After all, not only commonplace, but also dangerous diseases can be hidden behind them. All that is possible is to help yourself or a sick person, when the stabbing began suddenly and very strongly. But if the condition does not improve, be sure to call an ambulance by phone 103!
General measures of first aid at home include:
- Peace – no matter what you do, sit down or lie down, find a position in which the pain will decrease.
- Fresh air – you can go outside, or you can open the doors and windows in the room, providing free access to oxygen. But walking, walking or doing other active movements is not worth it.
- For severe pain, take an anesthetic: Panadol, Ketanov, Nimesil, Paracetamol, Ibuprom, Analgin.
- If the presumed cause is cardiac pathology, vegetative-vascular dystonia, neurosis or stress, drink one of the drugs: Validol, Corvalment, Corvalol, Barboval, Valerian, Persen.
- Be sure to take a measurement of blood pressure and heart rate. If they are normal, most likely the cause is not related to heart damage.
- Do not take Nitroglycerin if the pain is purely stitching and is not accompanied by a feeling of compression behind the sternum, or low blood pressure. Thus, you can only do harm.
- If, despite the assistance provided, after 30-40 minutes the condition has not improved, be sure to call an ambulance (phone 103).
As experience shows, most often (70% of cases), colitis in the heart due to irritation of the intercostal nerves. Such pain periodically bother people for many years, but never lead to serious consequences. In 25%, stabbing pain is a signal of dangerous but treatable diseases, and only in 5% of cases it signals life-threatening conditions. But no statistics give the right to underestimate this symptom!
What to do if heart pierces? First aid
There are two general rules for all cases of stabbing pain in the heart: stop any physical activity and take a horizontal position. Then you need to facilitate the access of oxygen, for example, unfasten the buttons of a shirt or open a window.
The following steps will be aimed at understanding at least roughly what causes the pain. To do this, you need to measure the pulse and blood pressure – are there any deviations from the norm. If everything is in order, you need to try to take a deep breath or cough – the pain will intensify or not. If it lasts several minutes, you can examine the person externally: is there swelling and redness of the skin, how does it react to touch.
In the case when it is known that pain is caused by intercostal neuralgia or inflammation of muscle tissue, you need to take anti-inflammatory drugs and apply dry heat.
Symptoms of neurosis are relieved by sedatives; in liquid form, they act quite quickly.
If the nature of the sensations resembles a myocardial infarction, a spasm of the coronary vessels or an attack of angina pectoris, nitroglycerin should be immediately placed under the tongue so that it will enter the blood faster. If there is this drug in the form of a spray, then it will act even faster. If there is no nitroglycerin at hand, you need to take aspirin. You should also immediately call an ambulance.
In the case when a heart attack occurred in a person nearby, you need to try to calm him down, lay so that the upper body is slightly raised, and give medicine. If the victim has lost consciousness, it is necessary to proceed to an indirect heart massage.
What to do at home if heart pierces
Cardiological diseases can not always be treated at home. Most of these pathologies pose a danger to the patient’s life, therefore, they require serious treatment in a hospital. But gastroenterological and neurological problems can be fought at home.
If the cause of tingling in the heart is gastritis or chronic pancreatitis, the patient is shown a diet and medications to normalize the digestive process. In osteochondrosis, physiotherapy exercises, swimming, walking, and indeed any physical activity are considered essential components of treatment. It will not be possible to reduce the severity of chest pain with intercostal neuralgia without anti-inflammatory therapy and physiotherapy.
In the case of autonomic disorders and cardioneurosis, an attack of pain in the heart can be stopped with the help of sedatives (Corvalol, Valerian, motherwort tinctures, etc.). Subsequently, such patients prescribe drugs to the nervous system, as well as vitamins and drugs that improve metabolism. In addition, the patient must:
- Normalize the day (you must sleep at least 8 hours)
- More to be in the fresh air.
- Avoid unrest, conflict situations.
- Refuse products and habits harmful to the nervous system. In particular, there can be no talk of smoking and drinking alcohol, the abuse of coffee and strong tea, chocolates, confectionery.
- Go swimming.
- Practice tonic water treatments, for example, take a contrast shower daily.
- Do morning exercises.
With hormonal disorders, PMS and menopause, properly selected hormonal therapy helps to improve well-being and eliminate discomfort in the heart. However, no less important than taking medications prescribed by a doctor for such patients is sufficient physical activity, a balanced diet, good sleep, rest and regular intimate life.
Zubkova Olga Sergeevna, medical observer, epidemiologist
Preventive measures for minors
Prevention of heart pain in adolescence consists in observing the correct lifestyle, moderate alternation of physical and mental exercises. Sports activities during adolescence are very desirable. Swimming, running, rowing, skiing are best suited – they develop the chest, respiratory system.
An important role is played by proper nutrition:
- exclusion from the diet of junk food like chips, fast food, sweet soda;
- enrichment of food with potassium and magnesium, necessary for the heart (found in bananas, beets, watermelons, wheat germ, baked potatoes, dried fruits, bran).
- the teenager’s menu should contain calcium-fortified foods: fermented milk, seaweed, buckwheat, eggs, oatmeal;
- Vitamin D (cod liver, eggs, fish oil) and phosphorus (nuts, eggs, cheese, fish) are also necessary for the functioning of the young organism.
The youthful organism is actively developing, during puberty all organs and systems grow very quickly. The hormonal background is still unstable, which means that a teenager may experience emotional and physiological problems. Sometimes they result in heartaches.
Very often, such unpleasant sensations are normal reactions to physiological processes occurring in the body. Sometimes cardiological pathologies occur. In both cases, you should consult a doctor to avoid negative consequences.
In adolescence, it is still easy to adjust the child’s lifestyle, eating habits, rest and sleep patterns, evenly distribute physical and mental stress in order to get rid of heart pains arising from the “youthful heart”. Equally important is the psychological atmosphere at home and in society. Elimination of stressful situations and a positive attitude will help the child forget about unpleasant sensations in the heart area.
In order not to miss the beginning of the development of a dangerous disease in a teenager, entailing unpredictable consequences and even disability, parents need to carefully monitor the health of their children, their nutrition and psychological state.
- If there is a stabbing or pulling sensation in the heart area, it is worth checking the child with a cardiologist for violations in the work of the heart.
- It is imperative to visit a pediatrician with children sick even with a harmless cold. Only he will be able to accurately say why the child was ill and prescribe medications that contribute to a complete recovery without complications.
- Closely monitor children with excess body weight or, conversely, with low weight, for adolescents whose growth and development is ahead of normal age parameters. They are at risk of acquiring heart disease.
- It is important to create a healthy, peaceful environment around the child. He should not be nervous and show excessive anxiety due to problems in the family.
- Even the most painful children should engage in feasible sports several times a week and be sure to do daily morning exercises.
- In the child’s menu, you must enter red meat, milk, fish, eggs and vegetables with fruits.
Adolescents are recommended to spend at least two hours a day in the fresh air. In addition, an annual examination by a cardiologist is mandatory.