We will understand why different arterial pressure arises on different hands. Can provoke asymmetry:
- strong emotional experience;
- anatomical features;
- overstrain, overwork;
- blood flow disorders (atherosclerosis, spasm, blood clot);
- genetic predisposition.
A separate reason is pregnancy, especially in the first trimester. By the second, the situation should normalize. If symptoms persist for several days, consult a doctor to clarify the cause. The situation may indicate kidney or heart disease, which is extremely dangerous for the expectant mother.
This unpleasant phenomenon is more common in people aged, women are more prone to it. And there are several possible reasons for such a frightening difference.
Potential causes of blood pressure difference:
- Emotional instability. Blood pressure often rises as a reaction to stress, anger, nervousness. And there are cases when the increase is disproportionate to different hands. When a person calms down, the indicators return to normal.
- Anatomical features. The individual anatomy of some organs, such as arteries, can affect the result. The muscles of the arms and the parameters of a person also have an effect. For example, fibrotic changes in the brachial muscles can lead to an infringement of the neurovascular bundle.
- Impaired blood circulation. This may well be due to atherosclerotic plaques that have formed on the walls of the vascular network, and blood will be transported to the tissues in a reduced volume. Since this process is developing unevenly, the pressure on the right and on the left hand may differ.
- Heredity. A disease that causes a mismatch in values may simply be inherited.
- Chronic overwork, severe fatigue. If the Blood pressure measurement session is carried out in a similar negative state, when a person is tired, hasn’t slept, is literally broken and exhausted, a pressure difference on the right and left hand can be detected.
Obviously, the problem is not due to any one specific reason. Therefore, the observed variation in the indicators is an occasion for a detailed examination.
Even if the difference in values is conditionally permissible, you can still go to the doctor to dispel doubts. He will schedule an examination, which will give an exact answer, why different arms have different blood pressure.
This phenomenon may indicate a risk of nonspecific aortoarteritis. Most often, women of childbearing age suffer from this pathology. In case of a disease, inflammatory processes in the walls of blood vessels are observed. Subsequently, this threatens a blockage of the vascular lumen and can lead to oxygen starvation of the whole organism.
This disease can be fatal, therefore, its timely detection is very important.
At each visit to the antenatal clinic, the doctor measures the blood pressure of the pregnant patient
In her position, it is very important to know her constant values, as well as to note the slightest changes in her body. Also, if she herself sees any suspicious symptoms, then she needs to inform her gynecologist about this.
It is not uncommon, indeed, to note the difference in blood pressure between two hands. In my experience, higher blood pressure is more common in the right hand, at least in right subjects. The difference can reach 10-20 mm Hg. for systolic, 5-10 mmHg for diastolic. The origin of this difference, when it exists, is unknown.
The reasons for the large difference between the blood pressure of the right and left hands in a pregnant woman include the following:
- the presence of complications at any stage of pregnancy;
- fetal abnormalities;
- late toxicosis.
Late toxicosis can cause a difference between the pressure of the right and left hands in a pregnant woman
In the consultation room, this difference can also be explained by a consistent measurement of blood pressure, first on the right hand when it is lying, and then on the left hand while sitting. Here, unlike time, the position effect is added, blood pressure is usually lower in the vertical position than in the supine position.
It doesn’t matter when you know the great variability of blood pressure from one moment to another! The simplest is to keep only the highest value, the most logical, probably, is to calculate the average values obtained in both hands.
It is very important to visit a specialist in a timely manner. It is imperative that a knowledgeable person immediately diagnoses the entire body to identify any health problems
Should you check your blood pressure regularly? High blood pressure is a condition that, in most cases and over a long time, develops slowly. Most often, it is detected by chance, not accompanied by any symptoms. However, the higher the blood pressure, the more important the cardiovascular risk.
- Ultrasound of the cardiovascular system;
- chest x-ray;
- scan of the aortic arch.
In another way, this condition is referred to as “asymmetry of blood pressure” and is recorded to a minimum degree of severity in most people. The results of numerous studies show that usually when measuring blood pressure (blood pressure) on the right shoulder or wrist, numbers are slightly higher than on the left. Also, higher pressure is recorded on the legs compared to the upper limbs.
It is customary to explain the difference in pressure on different hands with the features of the anatomical structure of the bloodstream.
Normally, a large circle of blood circulation originates from the left ventricle of the heart by the most massive artery in the human body – the aorta. Bending, the vessel gives three large branches, which carry blood to the right and left hands and to the head. The arterial trunk that feeds the right hand, departs from the aortic arch earlier and has a shorter length, so the blood entering it has a large potential energy. It is this anatomical feature that experts explain the higher pressure figures on the right.
Allowable difference Blood pressure in the right and left hands should be below 15-20 units. In some sources there is information that the difference in indicators can be no more than 10 units (mmHg).
Many patients ask themselves “why is the different pressure on the right and left hand determined if I am healthy?”.
In most cases, this happens for the following reasons:
- more developed muscles on one of the limbs;
- anatomical features of the location of the arteries of the shoulder;
- neuropsychic stress;
- alcohol abuse;
- violation of the measurement procedure Blood pressure (loose or, on the contrary, too tight fixation of the cuff; incorrect location of the lining on the shoulder; inaccurate positioning of the head of the phonendoscope, etc.).
The difference in the indicators on the two hands in the elderly can be more significant, which is associated with an age-related change in the vascular walls.
When the tonometer shows results on different hands, varying by 20-30 units or more, you should seek the advice of a specialist.
If the blood pressure in the right and left limbs is very different – this may be a manifestation of one of the following pathologies:
- massive atherosclerosis;
- violation of autonomic regulation (vegetovascular dystonia);
- congenital narrowing of the lumen of the aorta or arteries extending from it;
- inflammation of the vascular walls;
- thrombosis, thromboembolism;
- aortic aneurysm with dissection of the aneurysmal sac;
- abnormal branching of arteries with their atypical departure from the aortic arch.
In the vast majority of cases, the pathology is located locally on the side where smaller numbers are recorded.
Sometimes differing by more than 10-15 mm RT. Art. figures Blood pressure on different hands is recorded during pregnancy.
What does this symptom mean? Most often, it is an early sign of nephropathy with gestosis, or late toxicosis.
Despite the fact that in most cases gestosis is manifested (including) by persistent high blood pressure, its atypical forms can be characterized precisely by the asymmetry of blood pressure. Experts point out that various figures on the right and left hand allow us to diagnose this pathology at an early stage of pregestosis and to start therapy in a timely manner.
Of particular concern is the significant asymmetry, since it indicates the severity of the pathological condition.
If the difference in blood pressure is due to pathological changes in the vessels, then the usual therapy with the help of tablet preparations will not demonstrate sufficient effectiveness. It can be assigned as an auxiliary method.
What is the difference in pressure on the hands considered normal
As noted earlier, there may be some differences in blood pressure in both hands. A tolerance of 5 mm is considered acceptable. If the difference exceeds the established error, then you must inform your doctor about this:
- A difference of 10 mm can be a sign of the development of atherosclerosis. And this is a cause for concern, since it starts with: coronary heart disease; hypertension; stroke; intermittent claudication, which is characteristic of pain during walking; heart failure.
- A persistent difference of 15 mm may indicate an impending stroke.
- A difference of 20 units may be a symptom of subclavian artery occlusion.
- What does different blood pressure in the hands mean for pregnant women? This needs to be discussed in more detail.
A significant difference between the pressure indicators of both hands can be said:
- bad state of health;
- frequent manifestation of weakness;
- noise in ears;
- slowing down the reaction;
- weakness in one of the limbs, which is often observed during physical exertion;
- cold fingers.
Cold fingers can indicate a significant difference between the pressure indicators of both hands.
Too big a difference between the blood pressure indicators of the right and left hands can lead to dangerous consequences for human health. But not always the body can signal the course of pathological processes. Often, most diseases are detected at the time of examination by a specialist.
But in addition to the reasons associated with the health and lifestyle of a person, there is a completely different reason: the malfunction of the tonometer. A tonometer is a device with which a person’s blood pressure is measured
It is very important that it works correctly, without any violations. But, unfortunately, there are cases when errors are allowed
Asymmetry Blood pressure is a warning to humans. If it is not higher than 5 units, there is no cause for concern. But if the difference is significant, then it is worth visiting a doctor cardiologist or endocrinologist.
When the blood pressure on the right (left) arm is 6-10 units higher, then it is worth examining for the presence of atherosclerosis. If the indicator is even higher (measurement data differ by 15 units), a serious pathological process is likely to develop in the body.
For example, vascular defects, cerebrovascular accident, coronary artery disease, heart failure. In this case, the risk of stroke and heart attack is almost 2 times higher. A discrepancy of 20 units is often observed with subclavian artery occlusion.
The difference in performance is sometimes accompanied by poor health (weakness, dizziness, blurred vision). Vascular disorders are indicated by the weakening of one of the limbs during exercise, and rapid fatigue.
Due to poor circulation, the fingertips are constantly cold. But most often, vascular pathology does not manifest itself with pronounced signs. They find it only during the examination.
If during the measurement of systolic and diastolic pressure parameters on the right and left hand, the tonometer showed different values, a person needs:
- calm down. Deep and even breathing helps relieve excitement;
- to restore the nervous system;
- establish nutrition, begin to lead an active lifestyle;
- do not measure blood pressure with severe overwork, after physical and mental stress;
- if there is a suspicion of the presence of atherosclerosis, then it is necessary to sign up for dopplerography to check the condition of the vessels;
- with strong deviations of the blood pressure values, it is recommended to undergo a full examination in the hospital.
To eliminate the asymmetry of pressure, which is a symptom of the disease, treatment is carried out. Drug therapy should be aimed at combating the main pathology.
To get rid of cardiovascular diseases, the following drugs can be used:
- Magnesium B6. Contains magnesium, pyridoxine and stabilizing elements. Strengthens the immune system, improves the condition of the heart muscle, increases stress resistance. A sufficient amount of magnesium and vitamin B6 in the body is necessary to reduce the likelihood of a stroke, heart attack, atherosclerosis;
- Nitroglycerine. Relieves spasm of smooth muscle fibers due to the expansion of coronary arterioles. It increases the flow of oxygen-rich plasma to the heart, reduces congestion, and reduces the load on the heart muscle.
You can reduce the pressure difference on two limbs with the help of alternative medicine. Traditional healers advise eating dried apricots. Dried apricot restores the work of internal organs, stabilizes the level of hormones, improves the functioning of the cardiovascular system.
With slight differences, blood pressure on the right and left hands, it is recommended to take a decoction of thyme. It relieves nervous tension, depression, spasm of cerebral vessels, normalizes sleep. The plant expands arteries and evens out pressure. You can drink broth from thyme instead of tea.
Gently reduces blood pressure decoction of hawthorn
A good remedy in the treatment of cardiovascular disorders is considered to be hawthorn. Due to its unique composition, the fruits of this plant eliminate arterial spasm, lower blood pressure, and restore heart rate.
One tablespoon of hawthorn berries is poured with a glass of boiling water and insisted for a couple of hours. Then they are filtered and taken several times a day, two tablespoons before meals.
Sometimes you can remove the difference. Blood pressure on two hands can be done by reviewing the regimen and diet.
It is important to eat only healthy foods. There is no special diet that reduces the difference in tonometer numbers on the right and left hand
It is selected based on the disease that caused such a defect.
Duplex scanning of hand vessels
If during measurement of blood pressure a difference of more than 10 mmHg is detected. in the figures on the hands, the doctor must send the patient for further examination to clarify the reasons for this condition. The most informative method for visualizing arteries is duplex scanning of blood vessels. This method allows you to identify whether there is a narrowing of the vessel, its degree.
Also, a diagnostic method is provided by such a research method as angiography. A thorough history, clarification of concomitant diseases that the patient is sick with, helps the doctor to determine the cause of the difference in blood pressure.
Treatment depends on the cause of the disease. If the reason lies in severe arterial thrombosis, then surgical treatment is possible – removal of a thrombus or embolus. In atherosclerosis, statins are prescribed that lower cholesterol and prevent the formation of plaques in the vessels. Monitoring blood sugar and drugs that lower it are necessary if the patient is diagnosed with diabetes.
With increased thrombosis, administration of antiplatelet agents or anticoagulants under the control of INR is indicated. If the patient suffers from hypertension, the treatment should take into account and focus on the blood pressure of the hand where the numbers are higher. The degree of arterial hypertension should also be established by higher numbers.
Pregnancy refers to physiological conditions, is not a disease, it should not cause panic for any reason. Many “oddities” that occur during gestation with the mother’s body frighten and alarm the woman. But, as a rule, with the birth of a child, there is no trace of them.
If there are no other special changes in well-being, then a slight difference in pressure on the hands is acceptable. This often happens in the first trimester. This can be explained by a serious increase in blood flow and redistribution of body fluid. But if the difference in blood pressure is noted after 20 weeks, measures must be taken. This may be one of the signals of gestosis, a threatening pregnancy condition.
If the violation of the values of Blood pressure is persistent, prolonged, this is a sign of pathological processes in the liver, as well as in the urinary system. Significant asymmetry of pressure is dangerous for the development of preeclampsia and eclampsia. And these are already life-threatening conditions.
During pregnancy, different blood pressure is often observed on the right and left arm, which is detected:
- as a result of a mandatory survey;
- with a planned visit to the antenatal clinic;
- with independent control of blood pressure.
This phenomenon is more often noted in the first trimester, when there is an active hormonal restructuring of the female body.
Strengthening hemodynamics in the veins and redistribution of blood supply to different parts of the body can cause some discrepancy. This is considered normal for a woman in position.
There are cases when deviations in blood pressure occur in the expectant mother after 20 weeks of the II trimester.
When the pressure on different hands in a pregnant woman is very different, while significant deviations are long and stable – this means that this process is pathological.
|Nonspecific aortoarteritis||Otherwise, it is called Takayasu disease. Severe disease caused by impaired immune system. More common in women of childbearing age. It is characterized by inflammatory processes in the walls of blood vessels, as a result, occlusion of their lumen, violation of trophic tissue or organs, hypoxia. If untreated, there is a high probability of death.|
|Hormonal disorders||With an excess of corticosteroids, dysfunction of blood pressure regulation occurs. Condition requiring urgent correction.|
|Preeclampsia||A complication of the normal course of pregnancy, which is often accompanied by preeclampsia and eclampsia (convulsions), edema, late toxicosis, increased blood pressure, fetal pathology.|
The danger lies in the fact that a deviation from the norm by 10 units may not cause concern either to the gynecologist or to the patient herself. However, this may be a sign of the development of pathology when bearing a child.
A break in the pressure on the hands during pregnancy, amounting to 30 – 40 units, is an indication for taking urgent measures and prescribing therapeutic therapy.
The main reasons for the difference in indicators Blood pressure of the right and left hands can be physiological or pathological. In the first case, a short-term effect on the body of caffeinated drinks or alcohol is not ruled out. If the figure changes due to internal pathology, the factors that provoke the difference in pressure on different hands are as follows:
- cardiac ischemia;
- heart attack;
- heart failure;
- excessive presence of sodium chloride in the blood.
- indicators differ by 10 mm;
- a pressure difference of more than 20 mm – an urgent examination is carried out, treatment is prescribed;
- listening to the subclavian, carotid arteries reveals noise.
How to measure pressure
To get an accurate result, the procedure is carried out several times. Measure the upper and lower blood pressure at rest, and if abnormal, consult your doctor immediately. If you are interested in which hand to measure pressure correctly, the answer is given by a competent specialist. The normal value does not depend on the choice of limb, the main thing is to perform the procedure twice a day, always at the same time. Only in this case, the tonometer shows true value and timely signals a health problem in the body of a woman and a man.
To perform a typical measurement, doctors recommend using an automatic device. The detection of different pressure on the right and left hand is not excluded, but such a clinical picture is much less common. Before the session, it is not recommended to smoke, drink coffee and alcohol, be nervous, and the study should be carried out alternately on both limbs in a comfortable position. After a visit to the doctor, the answer to the question on which hand to measure pressure with an automatic tonometer becomes irrelevant for patients.
Since the choice of limb for measuring blood pressure does not matter, the following medical requirements must be observed to obtain a true result:
- Place the cuff in the region of the heart (an acceptable level is 20 millimeters above the elbow bend), pump the air with the pear intensively.
- Another person must perform the manipulations so that the patient maintains a comfortable body position. Blow air until the pulse disappears when listening. This is an indicator of diastolic pressure.
- After completing the manipulations using a semi-automatic device, bleed air until the pulse returns again. This is the mark of systolic pressure that should be filled.
Before starting home treatment, it is important to figure out how to properly measure the pressure yourself. This is a prerequisite for accurate home diagnostics, the right path to recovery. It is important to understand that the Blood Pressure indicator depends on the reduction of strength, resistance and the number of contractions for the selected time interval.
This is where to start. Before looking for the cause of the pathology, make sure that you have done everything correctly. Every adult should be able to use a tonometer: it does not matter if he has a diagnosis related to pressure or not. The device for measuring must be operational, high-quality, accurate. Measurement Blood pressure should be at least two (or better – three) times with an interval of 7 minutes. The procedure is carried out only in peace, not after eating and not after exercise.
Features of measuring blood pressure:
- The cuff, if you have a standard tonometer, is always located at the level of the heart. Permissible and placement on the elbow bend – 2 cm above it.
- Then the cuff needs to be filled with air. This is done by pumping pears.
- The air is pumped up until the sound of ripple disappears when listening. So fixed diastolic blood pressure.
- When the process of pumping air is completed, it is slowly released from the cuff. The moment when the ripple is heard again, this is the upper value of blood pressure.
Pressure indicators cannot be called correct if the hand at the time of measurement is above / below the level of the heart. If you over-press the cuff, the indicator will also fail.
To obtain the most accurate indicators, as well as to timely prevent the development of pathologies, pressure is measured on two hands.
For reference, you need to know the normal blood pressure indicators:
- lower pressure (diastolic) – 80-90 mm RT. Art;
- upper (systolic) – 120-140 mm RT. Art;
- pulse – permissible fluctuations of 60-90 beats per minute.
Self-measurement Blood pressure is best done with automatic electronic blood pressure monitors, which do not require outside assistance.
Recommended measurement intervals:
- to a healthy person – once every 60-90 days is enough;
- hypotonics – with the appearance of unpleasant symptoms;
- with hypertension – daily monitoring several times a day, but at least two.
The correct algorithm for self-measurement Blood pressure at home is as follows:
- Morning measurement is made during the first 60 minutes after you get out of bed.
- Before measuring, you can not do the following: drink caffeinated drinks, eat, drink alcohol, smoke, do exercises.
- Immediately before the measurement, within 15 minutes, try to be in a state of complete rest.
- Next, you need to take the correct position – sitting, throw your back on the back of the chair, legs should not be crossed, the arm is relaxed.
- The cuff of the device is located on the same level with the heart (just above the bend of the elbow).
- On an electronic device, automatic air inflation is carried out by pressing a button.
- Record the indicators. After 5-7 minutes, measure on the other hand.
- After a weekly systematic measurement of Blood Pressure, all indicators should be checked. If there is no obvious scatter or uneven value, the average is displayed.
The average indicator is your individual blood pressure value.
With the permissible difference, do not worry, since there is no threat to health.
Common causes of abnormal blood pressure readings also include errors made in the process of measuring pressure. That is why every person needs to know well about how to measure pressure more correctly and best. There are several useful rules:
- In no case should you talk while measuring pressure.
- You should sit evenly and calmly, do not spin, do not allow unnecessary and sudden movements, and also do not cross your legs.
During pressure measurements do not make unnecessary and sudden movements, do not cross legs
The interval between pressure measurements on both hands should be 5 to 7 minutes. The hand on which the pressure is measured should lie flat on the table. It should not be lower or higher than the level of the heart. For convenience, it is better to lean on something with your back, for example, it may be the back of a chair. Do not tighten the cuff too much.
Before measuring blood pressure, it is necessary to ensure that the intestines and bladder are not full. It can also have some effect on blood pressure values. And the most important rule is to measure the pressure on both hands. This will help to identify the presence of diseases and other problems with the human body.
If the difference in pressure on both hands is constantly noted, it is important to remember its value. In the future, if this difference changes upwards, then this will be an occasion to pay a visit to the therapist or cardiologist.
You also need to pay attention to the fact that pressure indicators can change under the influence of:
- certain groups of drugs, including also drops for the eyes or nose;
- alcohol drinks.
As noted earlier, changes in air temperature and exposure to direct sunlight can also provoke a significant difference in the readings of blood pressure in both hands.
When visiting a doctor, it is important to inform him of the medications you are currently taking. It is important to remember that in order to stay healthy, you need to immediately contact a doctor if you notice any changes, and even more so, changes associated with the difference in blood pressure between the right and left hands
It is important to remember that in order to stay healthy, you need to immediately contact a doctor if any changes are found, and even more so, changes associated with the difference in blood pressure indicators of the right and left hands. How to cure hypertension forever ?!
How to cure hypertension forever ?!
In Russia, annually from 5 to 10 million calls are made to the ambulance for increasing pressure. But the Russian cardiac surgeon Irina Chazova claims that 67% of hypertensive patients do not even suspect that they are sick!
How can you protect yourself and overcome the disease? One of the many cured patients, Oleg Tabakov, told in his interview how to forget about hypertension forever .
The easiest way is to measure blood pressure in the hands using automatic or semi-automatic models of blood pressure monitors. The former advantageously differ in that they can independently pump air into the cuff, you just need to press a special button.
Such devices are capable of determining the pulse of a patient, storing information on 10 or more dimensions in memory.
It is recommended to avoid the use of tonometers that measure pressure only on the wrist, since they provide insufficiently accurate data. When a person also has arrhythmia, such a device will show an even greater error.
In such situations, it is wise to acquire mechanical models, which are usually used in clinics. A manual blood pressure monitor is not so convenient to use, but if the technology is followed, the procedure is most accurate.
Rules for measuring Blood pressure are as follows:
- you need to sit comfortably, it’s better to sit at the table, sit at least 5 minutes without moving;
- put the cuff of the tonometer 5 cm above the elbow, and the relaxed hand should be on the table;
- put on a stethoscope;
- up to 220 mmHg air is pumped into the cuff. Art. or higher if higher pressure is suspected;
- slowly bleed air (with an approximate speed of 2-4 mm per second), focusing on the dial.
As soon as the first beats of the heart are heard, it is necessary to remember the readings of the device. It is this figure that will be equal to systolic pressure (upper, cardiac). When the strokes are no longer heard, fix the second digit – diastolic (lower, vascular) pressure.
Measurements Blood pressure is carried out first on the left hand, and then on the right. Sometimes there is a need to make 2 repeated measurements with an interval of 2-3 minutes. If a person has seen how they manipulate at least a couple of times in his life, he will easily master this technique.
As for the semi-automatic and automatic devices, they will independently determine the heart “beats”, display information on the LCD screen.
In order to have the most accurate, informative answer on the tonometer, it is customary to measure blood pressure more than once. So, the upper and lower pressure is always measured in a calm state, and if a deviation is found from normal indicators – take a ticket to the therapist.
Typical Pressure Measurement Errors
Let’s consider the option when the device is not cunning (although this is possible), but the measurement is carried out incorrectly.
What can lead to erroneous results:
- Hand below heart level. In this case, usually the measurement result is too high. It is necessary to change the position so that the middle of the shoulder is at the cardiac level.
- Hand above heart level. In this situation, the result is likely to be underestimated.
- There is no support for the back. If you are not sitting on a chair with a back, you can get high measurement values.
- Arrhythmia. If you have such a pathology, then the measurement results will change rapidly. Then the doctors say to take a few measurements and calculate the averaged data.
- Very tight cuff. So you artificially overestimate your performance. Wear the cuff tightly, but not tight.
- Cuff on top of clothes. There may be a significant error in the measurement. Clothing should be removed, or at least rolled up the sleeve of a sweater or shirt.
Doctors note that on the left and on the right hand, different pressures are still more often fixed due to physiological reasons. But in order not to miss the alarm bell, even absolutely healthy people should take measurements twice a month. The elderly, as well as diagnosed hypertensives, measure blood pressure daily, keep a diary of measurements.
A person who does not have a medical education does not know some nuances, and he can be frightened by the difference in pressure on his right and left hands. Therefore, any information that bothers you should be checked by a doctor. He sees the picture more broadly, asks questions that help him understand the possible causes of asymmetry of blood pressure.
What does the doctor take into account:
- The amount of discrepancy. And this is the highlight. If the pressure difference on the hands is 5 units, then this is the allowable range. 10 – a more serious reason to think, but not yet critical. More than 10 – here you will need further examination.
- On which hand pressure is measured. On the left, it is, as already mentioned, higher often.
- Increased pressure or, conversely, reduced. Doctors are alarmed by indicators of lowering on both sides.
- Symptoms. It is one thing if the patient feels great, and quite another if he has obvious complaints about the worsening condition. In the second case, in conjunction with the asymmetry of measurements, pathology is more likely.
- Patient attitude to sport. Often pronounced asymmetry is a feature of professional athletes. But, as a rule, the athletes themselves know about it.
- The age of the patient. In older people, the difference in pressure is recorded more often.
- Left-handed person or right-handed person. Usually an increase in blood pressure is noted on the so-called working arm.
In a word, do not rush to draw conclusions and make diagnoses yourself. But if the situation really worries, do not run away from the doctors.
To exclude different blood pressure on the right and left hand, registered due to incorrect measurement, Blood pressure must be determined in accordance with a certain algorithm:
- Half an hour before the measurement, it is strongly recommended to abandon the use of stimulants, caffeinated drinks, strong tea, alcohol, smoking, significant physical or psycho-emotional stress.
- Before starting the procedure, you need to take a comfortable position (sitting on a chair, in a chair or lying down) and try not to talk and not actively move for several minutes. This will minimize the error of the results.
- Prepare a tonometer: check the integrity of the cuff, tubes, pears, the performance of the pressure gauge. Air from the air cylinder is maximally discharged through the supercharger valve.
- That hand, which will be involved in the measurement, is freely placed on a flat surface. Lowering or raising it higher than the level of the heart is not recommended.
- A cuff is fixed on the shoulder, slightly above the elbow. Its correct location is described in detail either in the text of the instructions for the device, or indicated in the form of an icon on the surface of the lining itself. To prevent distorted readings, use a cuff that matches the size of your shoulder circumference. The tubes extending from the lining are located on the inner surface of the hand.
- A phonendoscope head is attached under the cuff (at the point where the pulsation of blood is most actively heard).
- The pear valve closes, the air bulb is filled with the air mixture. Injection is made up to numbers, at 20 mm RT. Art. exceeding those on which the pulsation in the phonendoscope ceases to be heard.
- Air from the cuff is slowly bleed in small portions, while the blood pressure values are noted on the manometer, on which tones appear and disappear.
The systolic pressure value is the number on which the first tone is heard in the phonendoscope after the start of air bleeding. For the value of the diastolic – the figure at which the tones fade.
Pressure must be measured first on one hand, then on the other. The procedure is repeated three times at five-minute intervals. What pressure to believe, higher or lower? In the future, the definition of Blood pressure is recommended to be done on the arm where its higher value is recorded.
The initial stage of hypertension is characterized by symptoms incomprehensible to the patient. It is difficult for the patient to determine the cause of the discomfort.
The need to measure pressure on the left and right hand at the same time, scientists recently discovered: in 2004, the All-Russian Scientific Society of Cardiology recommended new measurement rules:
- fix blood pressure on two limbs;
- do 2 approaches, maintaining time intervals;
- Before the procedure, the patient is recommended to sit quietly for 15 minutes;
- before measuring it is forbidden to smoke, drink coffee;
- for young patients, indications are recorded on the lower extremities;
- diabetics repeat standing measurements.
Such a measurement technique allows you to get a detailed picture of the patient’s health status.
1 How to keep track of your pressure
A blood pressure monitor is a device for measuring blood pressure. This device should be in your first-aid kit, and you should be able to use it. The choice of tonometers is huge today. There are automatic, semi-automatic, mechanical, on the shoulder or wrist, with arrhythmia indicators . But, still, despite such an abundance of electronic devices for measuring blood pressure, the most reliable and accurate mechanical tonometer remains.
Once you learn how to work with it, it will not be difficult for you to measure your blood pressure. If you decide to measure the pressure, sit comfortably on the chair, free your hand from clothes, put the cuff of the tonometer on the arm in the shoulder area so that its lower edge is 2 cm above the elbow. The arm with the cuff should be relaxed and placed on a horizontal surface at chest level. The cuff should not squeeze the shoulder and at the same time, should not “hang out”.
1 finger should pass freely between the cuff and the skin of the arm. Then begin to squeeze the pear of the device, forcing air into the cuff, follow the arrow on the digital scale. When the arrow reaches the figures exceeding your “working pressure” by approximately 60 mm Hg, slowly turning the valve, begin to bleed air. In this case, the stethoscope should be adjacent to the elbow bend of the arm on which the pressure is measured. The cuff will begin to deflate and you will hear a throb.
Measurement rules Blood pressure mechanical tonometer
The first tone – this will be the first digit of your systolic pressure (SBP), the moment when the final clear tone disappears – diastolic Blood Pressure (DBP). Systolic pressure or “cardiac” is an indicator of how blood presses on the blood vessels while contracting the heart muscle or systole. This figure characterizes the force with which the heart contracts, the state of the heart muscle.
Diastolic pressure indicates the state of the body’s blood vessels during relaxation of the heart or in the diastole. Its value depends on the tone of the vessels, on the peripheral resistance of small arteries, the elasticity of their walls. Pressure should be measured in a relaxed, calm state, before the procedure, do not smoke, drink coffee or strong tea, so as not to provoke an increase in blood pressure.
Also, the pressure must be measured on both hands, since the figures Blood pressure on the two hands can vary significantly.
What may be therapy
Different pressure on the hands has its own reasons, and treatment should correspond to them. In some cases, this is simply a physiological feature, but often it is a symptom of some kind of ailment, circulatory disorders.
For therapy, the patient may be prescribed:
- Medicines that facilitate the course of the IRR (if it is the case);
- Medicines that help restore vascular patency, and which slow the progression of the deposition of atherosclerotic plaques;
- Compounds that help thin the blood;
- Drugs that help optimize blood circulation.
Competent treatment is not complete without special gymnastics, physical education, and physiotherapy. It must be said that about 50% of the world’s population report asymmetries in their blood pressure on their hands. But more often the discrepancy fits into the norm; it does not require a serious correction, but it makes it necessary to increase pressure control.
With regard to blood pressure on the Internet, there is a lot of unverified, often subjective information. The forums that seem to be created to intimidate and confuse people trying to figure out their health sin. It’s better not to go to these resources at all, and look for information in sources of greater reliability. For example, here.
Maybe you did not know that:
- Hypertension does not threaten everyone, but pressure increases with age. Indeed, not all people necessarily know hypertension on themselves, but the closer the advanced years, the higher the likelihood of some increase in blood pressure. Moreover, you do not need to wait for old age: already from 40 years of age, blood pressure begins to increase. And this is not the process to be reconciled with. Lead a healthy lifestyle, keep an eye on nutrition, and age-related changes will not prevail.
- Hypertension is asymptomatic. For a long time, the disease does not manifest itself in any way, or “disguises itself” as fatigue, overwork. If you catch yourself with such fatigue often, sign up for a consultation with a cardiologist.
- Calm and deep breathing helps reduce pressure. If you slow down your breathing by 6 breaths in half a minute, then the blood pressure will drop. Yes, it will not fall so much, but sometimes this is enough for some stabilization of the state.
- Hand expander is a useful thing. Exercises with this equipment have been officially recognized as an alternative way to reduce pressure. It is enough to compress it for two minutes, so that the fluctuation of blood in the vascular walls tends to normal.
- Modern medicines are always better than traditional ones. And this is an axiom! There is no need to be blindly loyal to the “good old, tested” medications, which for many reasons can no longer be in the asset of hypertension. Use state-of-the-art developments that meet specific safety standards.
The main duty of every adult in relation to his pressure is to regularly measure it and to know his indicator. And if something went wrong, don’t be afraid to ask for help. It is much worse to miss the moment when it could be needed.
If the pressure on the left and on the right hand is different, and the difference is no more than ten units, some therapy is not required. But if the difference is higher, you should go first to the therapist, and then, according to his prescriptions, possibly to other specialists. It can be a cardiologist or a neurologist, sometimes treatment is required by a vascular surgeon.
What treatment may be required:
- Regular tonometry (daily blood pressure measurements);
- Taking drugs that restore vascular patency, dilute blood, improve blood circulation;
- Drug treatment of hypertension, as well as vegetative-vascular dystonia, if these diseases are diagnosed;
- Gymnastics medical profile;
- Physiotherapeutic procedures for the arm belt;
- Surgical treatment – up to the replacement of deformed arteries with an artificial prosthesis.
A person should not independently decide on the medications with which he will be treated. Not so rarely, even going to the doctor, the patient decides to replace the prescribed drugs with cheaper, as it seems to him, the same spectrum of action. And treatment will be, at best, ineffective, if not aggravating the situation of the patient.
On which hand is the pressure slightly higher
If you know that, for example, the pressure on your left hand is always slightly higher, then the Blood pressure measurements should be on this hand. This data will be your guideline. But there are doctors who do things differently: they take measurements on both hands, and then they calculate the average value – they enter it on the map.
On the left hand, blood pressure can actually be higher, more often, the way it is. This is explained simply: the heart is located on the left, and the device is sensitive specifically to this organ. More than half of earthlings Blood pressure is fixed slightly higher on the left hand, another 40% – on the right. The remaining percentage is people with symmetrical pressure.
Symptom of what diseases can be different pressure on the hands
Pressure on the left and on the right hand may differ for very serious somatic reasons. In this case, the difference appears as a negative symptom.
Sometimes asymmetry Blood pressure indicates:
- Nonspecific aortoarteritis;
- Osteochondrosis of different parts of the spinal column;
- Arterial hypertension;
Alas, with VVD (vegetative-vascular dystonia) this is one of the common symptoms. In such a situation, the pressure on one arm is increased, on the other is normal. This disease, which some doctors regard as a physiological disorder, must be corrected. Rarely does a case go without medication, but they are not the only ones called upon to help the patient. The therapy will be comprehensive and serious, it is very important that the patient with VVD is not silent about his condition, so that he consults the doctor on time.
Detonic – a unique medicine that helps fight hypertension at all stages of its development.
The complex effect of plant components of the drug Detonic on the walls of blood vessels and the autonomic nervous system contribute to a rapid decrease in blood pressure. In addition, this drug prevents the development of atherosclerosis, thanks to the unique components that are involved in the synthesis of lecithin, an amino acid that regulates cholesterol metabolism and prevents the formation of atherosclerotic plaques.
Detonic not addictive and withdrawal syndrome, since all components of the product are natural.Detailed information about Detonic is located on the manufacturer’s page .